Wednesday, January 6, 2016

An Idiot's Review of The Immortals: Part Two: Allies and Enemies




So it's safe to say that you knew I'd be reviewing this book eventually. I was basically a whiny fangirl over the first book, so it's no surprise that I'd be quick to jump onto reviewing Mrs. Cheryl Mackey's The Immortals: Allies and Enemies. This is practically a direct sequel to the first book, which almost always got me nervous. Sequel books have a bad habit of being boring and filled with pointless sub plots that make you want to find something else to do. However this fate managed to escape this particular book thanks to the massive amount of world building and character development. However it's not done in a way that is, once again, full of annoying filler. The plot is on a roll, and it takes us on a wild journey...Then careens off a cliff, making me want to slam my kindle against a wall.

Okay, let me explain this in a way that makes sense. First off, the main characters do go through a ton of character development.Romance blossoms between two of our companions, we learn a bit more about Emeranthe's past, and we get to see Jadeth get angsty about the demise of her people thanks to a new character getting introduced. I feel like out of all the characters, Jaeger missed out on some deep development, but I'm sure that will be changed with the next book. Because there must be a next book...

We're also introduced to two new characters. First up we have the elf, Dehil, he's a sneaky cowardly guy that you really don't trust the minute he waltzes onto the stage. As I read more about his character, and even got a view of things from his head, I still couldn't decide if I hated him or not. He's just one of those slippery rogues you have to either love or hate, there's just no middle ground. I mean, there could be, but my emotions were sloshing around the entire time reading about him. One minute I wanted to hug him, the next I wanted to punch him in the face.

Next up is Gabaran. He's a species of elf that's exiled, and has a complex history that I'd love to explore further. The companions run into him in a tower in the desert, and learn that Emeranthe knows this guy. However that doesn't make him trust worthy, and a lot of the time I found myself wondering if this guy really did have the best interest for the companions at heart. Then the ending hit...

The overall plot of this story is the quest that the council had given our companions at the end of the last novel. Go find the magical and mystical map. This sends our companions out to the desert again, which I loved, and caused plenty of issues in its own way. However there wasn't so much as plot as character development. The truth is, the entire book is character driven this time around. If you're looking for action it's most certainly there, but it's the character interaction that makes this book shine.

So what didn't I like about this book? I mean, I'm a whiny person, I have to dislike/hate something. Well, the purple prose pertaining to the romantic parts was not appreciated. I dislike purple prose, reasons can be found here, so I was rolling my eyes during those sections. I also didn't buy the romance between two of the characters, yeah I liked it, but that doesn't mean it was realistic. I'd have appreciated at least hints to it in the last book.

Oh, and the ending. That cliff hanger ending...

I'm gonna go cook dinner now...

If you wanna buy the book, do so here.

No comments:

Post a Comment