Wednesday, March 25, 2015

Idiot's Never Start on the First Chapter


Why does anyone bother starting their first draft on the very first chapter? Yes, this bit of information is important, it sets up the entire story...But it's also an author's worst nightmare. While you're busy typing, erasing, re-typing, and then just smashing buttons on your poor keyboard trying to get out the perfect first chapter, you could be working everything else out for your novel. You could just begin the second chapter, the chapter that could quite possibly throw all of your characters into the tasty plot. But of course that'll never happen while you're busy flipping out over the boring and almost impossible to write first chapter.

And I'm sure all of you are going to tell me about structure, the importance of the first chapter, and that you would never harm your keyboard in such a way; but I'm all round ready to just give up on the first chapter until I'm sure I'm ready to tackle it. When I got this amazing epiphany yesterday I was able to crank out two chapters in one day, both nearly five thousand words long. Both of them were relaxed, steady, and moved along quite nicely even without the first chapter of the novel. Heck, maybe I should just call the second chapter the first one, just throw my poor audience into a loop.

Anyway, I'm gonna go play Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess....

No comments:

Post a Comment