Monday, February 16, 2015

I Like Vampires...Now Make Them Creative


And I probably lost your attention with that simple statement, but I'll continue talking anyway. I happen to like vampires and it has nothing to do with paranormal romance. To me the term 'vampire' can range from a creature who sucks blood to a creature that has to survive off of someone else's heart beat. If you could make a creative vampire then I'm all for reading about them. And, to be honest at the risk of my credibility, I think that's what Stephanie Myers was trying to do.

Okay, I know that sounded a lot like wishful thinking, but it's true. Mrs. Myers wanted to make vampires that sparkled thinking that would be different. She also thought that having them drink animal blood would make them unique and more desirable to young girls, because let's face it that was the target audience. However this all backfired due to a lack of good characterization and a decent plot...

 See people, I still have a brain!

I think perhaps the most interesting vampires that I've ever seen is in the sci-fi. Most times these 'vampires' crave energy and will suck it out of others until they have no more and shrivel up like yesterday's fried corpse. This has been used several times such as the wraiths in the Stargate series. In fantasy it has been done as well, but I've never read any in order to give you a proper example, mostly because I like blood sucking vampires.

Speaking of which...

Where is it written that a vampire HAS to suck blood for food? Can't vampires just like the taste? Maybe they only drink the blood because it's healthier than the rest of the human body? Perhaps they drink just blood so they aren't complete monsters and have to eat human bodies as well? Maybe blood doesn't give them heart burn? There's a hundred and one ways to sit there and recreate that one fact and not enough people take it by the horns and make it there own! For example I happen to think it would be interesting if vampires had to drink blood in order to keep up their appearances as gods, not because they needed the blood for nutrition or cravings. Think of the entire demeanor of the race along with the struggles they would have!

Speaking of demeanor, where is it written that vampires have to be dark and brooding? I understand that we've come to expect this, but perhaps they can be various forms of creepy and scary. Have you ever watched the anime Future Diary? No? Well go look up the character Yuno Gasai and come back and talk to me. She's a pink haired girl that seems sweet and cute...Until she puts an ax through your skull. Can't we have a few vampires like that running around? I think it would fit thanks to all the grimdark fantasy that's been popping up lately.

With that said I hope this helps you when you write your vampire characters!

Now I'm gonna go play  Castlevania Judgement....



2 comments:

  1. Totally agree! I know of a few *emotional vampires* what about them?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm all for reading about them, but they gotta be well written.

      Delete