Tuesday, January 27, 2015

A Petition to Keep Elves

After reading this title I'm sure you're about to click out of my blog, but give me at least a full two minutes to explain.

Ready?

Go!

Okay, so most people are sick of elves. And I don't see a reason why you shouldn't, no one can outdue what Mr. J.R.R Tokien did. But that's our main issue, most people find that he's the end all say all being of high fantasy. If he made a moon that gave a creepy smile and puked up blood then everyone else would have one that gave creepy frowns and cried blood. Simply put we haven't been able to get past the pure awesomeness that Mr. Tolkien created.

But does that mean we have to get rid of elves, dwarves, halflings, and orcs? Of course not! If I told you that I created a halfling race that was actually evil and the main users of magic would you be intrigued? Or what if I said that elves were so inbred that they were mentally stunted and as such the laughing stalk of the entire world? Or how about we go straight back to the very beginning of fantasy and go to the original myths? After all orcs AND elves were all evil, no one was good or safe with them around.

Basically I'm saying that we all should just think of ways to enhance the entire fantasy experience. I think one reason why many people just can't get into fantasy is because people think it's all the same formula.  The boy who grabbed a sword out of a stone and went off to destroy it with the help of an old wrinkly wizard and a drunken dwarf. We should spruce up our ideas for our novels and do our absolute best to keep them nice and original.

Now am I saying that Mr. Tolkien shouldn't get credit or you can't be inspired by him? NO! Please don't think I'm saying that, we'd all be idiots if that was the case, but we should all do our parts to be original and stop ripping off an old dead guy who basically invented and defined a genre.

Now I'm off to go kill off half my elves since they're cliche.


No comments:

Post a Comment